CYFS's Play Partners Program is all about helping children become successful learners and readers.
Play Partners needs volunteers for the 2014-2015 school year! Click here to learn more and get started...
Did you know?
- A child's vocabulary development by age 3 can predict reading achievement by 3rd grade.
- Kids from middle-to upper-income families arrive in kindergarten with a vocabulary of about 25,000 words. Kids from low-income families arrive with a vocabulary of about 5,000 words, two years behind their higher income peers.
How Play Partners Works:
- Volunteers lead enrichment activities centered around a "story of the month" - these activities encourage kids to listen attentively, discuss themes, and follow instructions in a group setting.
- At the end of each month, children take home their own copy of the "story of the month" - this is the beginning of a home-library for many families.
- Parents receive activity sheets that correspond to each story of the month; these materials and the child’s familiarity with the story leads to increased reading and learning in the home.
- Learning from Play Partners extends beyond the weekly visits, child care providers confirm these sessions give them ideas to incorporate early learning activities into their daily curricula.
Ways To Get Started:
Call Christy Arrington at 296-4118 x 225
Email Christy Arrington at email@example.com