CYFS's Victims of Child Abuse Program (VOCA) provides no-cost counseling to children and families who have suffered the trauma of abuse to help them begin healing and create safe environments.
Did you know?
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused by their 18th birthday.
- Research has found that early identification and intervention are strategies that prevent or decrease the impact of exposure to violence/trauma.
How Does VOCA Work?
- VOCA offers counseling services to children ages 2-18 who have been victims of abuse or neglect, or have witnessed domestic violence.
- Counselors work with non-abusing parents, foster parents, or primary caregivers to help children and their support system understand and agree on ways to maintain safety.
- Children must live in Charlottesville or Albemarle, Louisa, Fluvanna, Nelson and Greene counties to be eligible for services.
- Counseling is free of charge for as long as children need it.
- Counseling sessions are held at CYFS's Charlottesville office, and at the Department of Social Services Offices in Fluvanna and Louisa.
This project is supported by grant # 13-E5943DV13 through the Department of Criminal Justice Services and grant # FAM-12-052-10 from the Virginia Department of Social Services.
For More Information: